KAYAKING WITH ICEBERGS
This is an amazing Glacier location to experience and learn about blue ice, up close and personal, on this 1/2 day kayaking excursion! Operating under 10 year permit with the Chugach National Forest.
The Spencer Whistle Stop and Glacier are located just South of Portage Valley and the Turnagain Arm in the Kenai Mountains and the Chugach National Forest. It is entirely off the road system, so we ride the scenic Alaska Railroad from Anchorage or Girdwood with breathtaking views of glaciers and towering alpine peaks.
Get away from the crowds by starting your trip where most people turn around, at Spencer lake. Enjoy several hours paddling among icebergs and hike to the face of Spencer Glacier. One goal is to touch an iceberg!
- Round trip train ticket to Spencer Whistle Stop
- Catered deli boxed lunch, water, granola bars and snacks
- 1 mile shuttle at Spencer Whistle Stop to Spencer Lake
- All paddling gear: Necky Looksha Tandem Sea Kayaks, spray skirts, PFD’s, gloves, rain jacket and pants, dry bags, kayak safety equipment
- Friendly, skilled, naturalist kayak and hiking guides
- Paddling instruction and briefing
- Small Ratios (min: 2:1 max: 7:1/client:guide)
- Guides will pace the trip and total distance to the groups’ desires, fitness level and weather conditions.
- Bear Protection and satellite tracking and communication devices
- Interpretative glaciology, ecology and natural history discussions
Trip Check-in Details:
Anchorage: Check in: 9am – Return: 10:15pm
Girdwood: Check in: Noon – Return 9:15 pm
- Up to 5 miles paddling round trip.
- Up to 3.5 hours on the water paddling
- Up to 3 miles hiking
No experience is necessary, but previous paddling experience is highly recommended. This paddle should be considered a “moderate activity”. We recommend that you are capable of a few hours of easy to moderate upper body and cardio exercise each day. See our Pre-Trip Fitness recommendations.
- Trips operate in most weather conditions- travel insurance is recommended
- The lake water temperature is very cold: 34*-37*F, but no tides and the icebergs are very reliable!
- Boxed Lunch contains: Turkey or Vegetarian sandwich, chips, cookie, fruit and water.
- Restroom facilities are located on trains and outhouses at Spencer Whistle Stop
- All guests are required to fill out our online Adventure Application and Waiver when booking
- After reserving your spot- you can easily login to our reservation system and make any changes or add cool Add-Ons.
- Minimum weight: 50 lbs; Maximum weight: 290 lbs
- Max height is 6’7”
- Max waist size is 44”
From the Spencer Whistle Stop, groups of 7 or less board a van for a short ride on the gravel road to our kayak cove overlooking outstanding views of the glacier and Icebergs floating in Spencer lake. Guides outfit kayakers in all paddling gear and give a kayaking and safety briefing. The paddle includes outstanding views of the glacier and icebergs floating in Spencer lake with photo and rest stops to learn about interesting local wildlife, icebergs, history and glaciology. Guests will unload from the kayaks and hike from Kayak cove back to the Whistle stop. The 5 hours spent at Spencer includes iceberg kayaking and trail hiking.
- 9:00AM: Check-in Anchorage Train Depot for the Glacier Discovery Train. (Tickets at will call).
- 9:45AM: Glacier Discovery Train departs from Anchorage Train Depot. The “Disco Train” stops in Girdwood, Portage, goes to Whittier, waits for 45 minutes, then comes back to Portage.
- 1:25PM: PORTAGE 2nd Stop- guides find guests and hands out lunches to eat.
- 1:45PM: Arrive SWS for vehicle shuttle to lake edge.
- 2:00PM: Arrive to Weatherport and Kayak Cove.
- 3:00PM: Finish gearing up/paddle briefing.
- 3:30-7:20PM: Iceberg paddling & hiking the trails around the face of Spencer Glacier.
- 7:20PM: Arrive at Kayak Cove and pack up gear, walk to bus.
- 7:50PM: Depart lake edge for SWS.
- 8:10PM: Flag down the Coastal Classic Train.
- 10:15PM: Arrive back at Anchorage Train Depot.