Join our Matanuska Glacier Tour this winter. The Matanuska Glacier, located two hours northeast of Anchorage, is Alaska’s most accessible glacier, and a popular destination for winter visitors. With an experienced local guide, walk on the amazing blue ice of this massive glacier, capture incredible photos as you explore the area in a small group of no more than six adventurers per group. The winter months provide dramatic scenery and unique glacial features not found in other seasons. Join us!
Includes round-trip transportation from Anchorage.
- Walk on the ice with an experienced glacier guide!
- Discover wonderful photo opportunities of the stunning blue ice
- All trips are grouped for six adventurers per guide
- All glacier hiking equipment is provided
- Hotel pick up and drop off is included from Anchorage
- Fully-guided glacier tour
- Professional Alaska tour guide
- Transportation from Anchorage in a clean and comfortable vehicle
- All glacier equipment
- Lunch, snacks, and water
- $325 per person + taxes and fees
- Departure time: between 8-8:30 a.m. Your guide will contact you between 7:30-7:45 a.m. with an exact pick up time.
- Duration: 8 Hours
- Winter Gear Packages available for rent: includes parka, snow pants, boots, hat and gloves – $25 per person
- Guide gratuity (10% of tour price per person recommended)
- Minimum age to join the Matanuska Glacier Tour is eight years old. For those with younger individuals, explore our Private Matanuska Glacier tour option.
- All participants should wear sturdy, stiff-soled footwear for this tour. No exceptions.
- Pick up is only available at Anchorage hotels. We do not pick up at private residences, vacation rentals (i.e. Airbnb or VRBO), or from Alyeska Resort. Guests at these locations may meet at our midtown headquarters (854 E 36th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99503), or from the nearest hotel. Please contact us for further information (phone: 907-980-8179).
- Please be ready and waiting 15 minutes before your scheduled pick up time.
Your daylong experience will start with a scenic drive along the Glenn Highway from Anchorage, with magnificent views of the Chugach and Talkeetna mountain ranges. Your guide will provide opportunities for photo stops, and share the interesting history and geology of this stunning area.
Upon arrival at the Matanuska Glacier, your guide will assist you in donning ice cleats and a helmet and give some safety instructions before heading out on the glacier’s icy surface to begin our explorations. Generally, tours cover up to three miles of terrain and involve walking on uneven ground, stepping up and over obstacles, and navigating small streams. Your guide will explain in detail the origins of these rivers of ice, and point out the ever-changing ice formations that dominate the landscape.
After your hike, enjoy lunch at a local eatery with plenty of time to relax and share stories of your day spent on the glacier.
Each tour is customized to suit the interests and abilities of guests. Don’t miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to walk on a glacier!
Interested in a private experience? Learn more about planning a private tour for your close friends and family. This experience is also available in other seasons on the Matanuska Glacier Summer Tour.
Your guide will reach out via text message to the number provided with your reservation, between 7:30 – 7:45am, with your hotel’s approximate time on the morning pickup schedule. The schedule varies daily based on the number and location of pickups.
Pickups will generally take place between 8:00 – 8:30 am, so please make sure you’re at your pickup location ready to go 15 minutes in advance to avoid missing your tour.
This experience is also available as a Private Matanuska Glacier Tour and Matanuska Glacier Summer Tour. Our minimum age to join the tour is 8 years old. For groups with younger individuals, explore our Private Matanuska Glacier option.
In an effort to reduce our footprint, we are no longer providing single-use plastic water bottles. Please bring a reusable water bottle! Fresh Alaskan water will be available to you throughout your tour.